Friday, November 6, 2009

oreo for Yong and kids and life at the hostel


"Zue, I'd like one oreo for tomorrow please"
"Kids are coming back from their hostels"
Lucky kids you are, having such a wonderful and thoughtful mummy.Lucky too for being able to come back every weekends or perhaps every other weekends, unlike me when I was at my hostel , it being hundreds of kilometres away from my home.....
Yong's countless number of orders already. Her kids love this oreo chocolate cheesecake.
My life at the hostel? Let's see how many years ago. All the 10 fingers and 10 toes are not enough to count the number of years that had passed me by since I had my last sleep in my double decker bed in my dorm C2-6 at the C block or Blok Mahsuri ( for yellow team), had my last supper of one mug of hot Milo with "biskut mayat" or Thye Hong biscuit ( I think it is called Dan*ne now ), my last breakfast( will not forget the nasi lemak which we used to "tapau" since there were so many of us who skipped breakfast on Friday , being a weekend there), lunch, tea and dinner at the Y shaped building called dining hall with the ever friendly makciks at the back who lovingly slaved themselves over the hot stove preparing our meals without fail.
Yes, I grew up with nasi kawah, queueing up during lunch time with our blue tray, fork and spoon and a mug each for our lunch, seated breakfast and dinner ( a table for 10 ) with the prefects at the head table in front to read out any announcements and the most awaited part was the list of recipients for parcels and registered letters.
See that petite little girl wearing a pair of school uniform walking or sometimes trotting happily with her friends, her "kencang 40" hair style ,(she adores Lady Diana, the late Princess of Wales) with big glasses on :-) chatting and sharing jokes, having group study, watching "Arjuna Membawa Cinta" or some Rano Karno movies at the basketball court under the moonlight and bright stars, washing her dirty clothes in the laundry room at the ground floor, racing to the bathroom to book her turn for her bath by hanging her towel on the door, walking around the school compund while waiting for dinner, so on and so on...........
That little girl does not wear her school uniform now, no more kencang 40 hair style but she wears it long and wavy now but most of the time , up in bun or tied up so that it won't get in the way of her baking and cake decorating.....that little girl is me...:-)little no more, a few kgs more than before:-)
Yong, my fellow srikandi, though we didn't share the same dorm, let alone the same block because she was in Block D, Dang Anum, neither do we share the same classroom but we did share the same dining hall, the same quadrangle, the same school song, the same principal, and the same memories of living and staying in a hostel and now we share the same passion in eating! eating cheesecake I mean.
thank you Yong for your continuous support, though we are now no longer staying at the hostels, our home for five years, our friendship continues with our other fellow schoolmates, dormmates, blockmates under the same name Srikandi83 through e-mails and FBs........thank you gals for giving me such sweet and wonderful memories to cherish .

No comments:

Post a Comment