Thursday, August 13, 2009

Raya cookies








What's crunchy, chocolatey, nutty, and come in small bite size. you don't eat them when they are aplenty but start looking for them when there was only crumbs left in the jar?

they are cookies.... to be specific , raya cookies!

it's that time of year! it's cookies time!

all types of cookies, sweet ones, fruity ones, buttery or cheesy, spicy ones, nutty, fancy looking, etc...with fancy names , like biskut jatuhan mentega, ice cream green tea and not so fancy ones like kuih batang buruk( but they taste good, don't they? ). My all time favourite is jem tart and cornflakes cookies.

But why am i talking about cookies. Well. it's that time of year again! The month before the most look forward to month, that is Ramadhan, followed by Syawal, where we celebrate the victory.( speaking of raya, i must go and get the kain for my daughters' baju kurung and also baju Melayu for my hubby and son )

Zue's Oven specializes in cheesecakes and cupcakes and others but not cookies but since some of my friends requested for them and since i do make my own cookies for raya, why not....if anyone out there is interested to taste Zue's Oven's cookies, I'll make some for you too. Here is a list of a few ( i only make a few types ) cookies which I probably would make for this coming Raya. they are in no particular preferential order, I like them all:
1. Semolina ( picture 1)RM23 for 50 pcs
2. Ice cream green tea (picture 2)- RM23 for 50 pcs
3. Dark piping - RM23 for 50 pcs
4. Roasted almond with milk chocolate ( this is not cookies )- RM25 for 50 pcs/cups
5. Semperit
6. Biskut Jatuhan mentega
7. Biskut buah pinggang, maybe
8. strawberry jem tart ( a pink version of pineapple jem tart)

These are just a few. I might make marble shortbread and chocolate chip cookies too, hazelnut cookies, melting moments.So, anyone out there, who are interested, feel free to call or sms or e-mail me. Kalau siapa2 duduk dekat2 dengan Taman stadium, can drop by at my house and taste the cookies, sementara stock masih ada.

Nak story sikit about me and cookies. i got my recipes from various sources, friends, internets, books, magazines,TVs, etc.... Hubby even bought me one more than one inch thick " Cookies 1001 Mouthwatering Recipes from Around the world" Book and i did try a few , and I might look up for new and interesting recipes for this coming Raya.

My involvement with cookies started since I was a very young girl. My ummi would make our own cookies for raya, the simple and non-complicated ones, like cornflakes, biskut kacang, biskut tabur gula colour2 atas dia. there were no almond london, no mama carries or shortbread ( in my household lah, dunno about other people). we didn't have an oven, not even the black boxy butterfly brand oven(then).So , where did we bake our cookies? In a big roti traditional oven ( cave like) which belonged to our kampung roti man, En. rojak ( I guess his name was En. Razak).Rasa macam dah story lah cerita ni, but I'll story again...

my job was to gelek the dough using plastic and botol kaca ( no rolling pin ), then tekap acuan on the dough and arranged them in the tray ( borrowed bread trays from En. rojak), then , my sister and I would bring them over to En. rojak's big oven to be baked. As a token of appreciation we would give some of the cookies to En. Rojak because he would not accept money from us and he was living alone there.Ini zaman TV black and white lagi, zaman cerita Combat, High chapparal, Little House On the Prairie, Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman.

Me and my childhood stories, still fresh in my mind but lunch is waiting. gotta go cook something for lunch, after which I have to start making the cupcakes for tomorrow's order. I have to think pink and purple and also black and white...hmmmmm and a teddy......

Ciao....

No comments:

Post a Comment