Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sweet dreams are made of this!







It might be the sweetest and the most memorable day of my life. My " masterpiece" ( first ever ) was published in the Star on 5th April 2009 ( that was about three weeks ago) under the Starmag Heart and Soul column. I sent this so-called" masterpiece" more than a month before that but it was titled differently, " Follow Your Dreams" . Couldn't really remember what prompted me to do this but I did . On each Sunday I would look up under the Starmag to see if it gets noticed by the Editor and gets published, not that Iwas really hoping that they would but if they did, it would be nice, wouldn't it?
On Monday 6th April 2009, well, that was like two weeks ago, Iwas reading the Staronline as usual because it is my daily dosage of getting the news outside my baking world via the net and I saw this catchy caption " Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This! " and I said, hmmm, I wonder what the article was all about.
After reading a few lines, no, in fact, after reading even the first few sentences, it struck me, my heart started beating very fast, felt like it's going to pop out of my chest! Those words sounded so familiar, could it be? Saw the writer's name: BY ZUE. Well, that's my name alright, that's what they call me , and sure enough, it is mine. I was so over the moon, well, elated would be the best word to describe my feelings at that time.
I began searching high and low for the hard copy of the Star , 5th April 2009 issue, which was just the day before but to no avail. No one had it.What was I going to do? I must have it. This is the first time ever, something of mine got published in a local newspaper, well it is the first time I sent anything to the newspaper anyway.
So I called the local newsagent, whom I have always bought my BEANO or any other magazines for that matter and fortunately, he still had yesterday's copy. Off I went to his place and bought a copy , smiling ear to ear and looked forward to showing it to my other half and my children.
If only I knew that they would put up a picture for illustration purpose, I would have sent my cakes and cupcakes photos but then again, myabe they would not allow such things because it might constitute an advertisement.
Anyway, the fact that they decided that my writing is reading material, is good enough for me for besides baking, and drawing and designing, writing is my other passion too. I am always writing in my head and whenever any ideas or thoughts came to mind, I would then put everything on papers later on.
Posting this article with no intention of showing off, not the slightest,merely sharing my joy with my friends, cyber or non-cyber because I am pretty sure many of you out there had done and achieved much more than a published "masterpiece".Furthermore, this writing relates to Zue's Oven a.k.a. cekmekzue.
In the mean time, I would continue doing what I like best...baking, cake deco, besides writing that is, so...keep on dreaming..."keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the sky."( i think Casey Casem used to say this at the end of his show " America's Top 40 )

2 comments:

  1. Salams Kak Zue :)

    How's life up north? Have been a frequent hopper here, but never left any trail :)

    A well-written piece. Bravo!

    My do'a for all your dreams to be fulfilled, insya Allah, and all the best with the cupcakes/baking business.

    Aloq Staq jauh sangat lah, Kak Zue... Tak leh nak place order :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. salam shana,
    life's been great in this sleepy old town, not as hustly and bustly as in KL,
    Same here, kak zue selalu gak singgah2 your " wherever you are" , stumbled upon it in notimeoff a.k.a kak yatt. I am going to link yours to mine,okay,and we keep in touch. that's the beauty of this IT thingy tho' me, not so IT savvy. sampai la tak tahu nak buat slideshow lagi..hi..hi...
    Thanx for the compliments, there are many writers out there cuma dia org tak hantar je. Kak zue saje2 hantar tak sangka lak depa nak publish.
    tak place order pun tak pa yang penting, doa tu. Kalu in the neighbourhood, Alor Staq that is, calling2 kay ,mana tahu boleh buat cheesecake ke cuppies ke kay...
    take care dear....thanx for dropping by..

    ReplyDelete